Tiles are naturally water-resistant, making them a popular choice for areas exposed to moisture.
Nevertheless, tiles still require quality waterproofing to remain protected against leaks, mould and mildew, deterioration and other water-related problems.
But what happens then if your initial waterproofing fails, and you’re faced with leaking tiles in your project?
The process of replacing tiles and redoing the waterproofing isn’t always practical, especially when you are working with a tight schedule and budget.
Fortunately, at Scientific Waterproofing Products (SWP), we have a tile waterproofing solution that works.
Our CLEARCOAT serves as a waterproof barrier, ready to protect your project’s tiled surfaces without the hassle of replacement; you simply apply the product using a brush or foam roller to seal the area.
We’ve compiled everything you need to know about this product.
CLEARCOAT is a tough, durable and flexible waterproofing coating membrane that offers a transparent gloss finish to your project’s tiled surfaces.
This product is designed for rectification works, allowing you to maintain the desired appearance and functionality of your substrate without the need to remove the original tiles.
Formulated to perform well under UV exposure and sunlight, CLEARCOAT is ideal for:
- Tiled balconies courtyards and terraces
- Showers and wet areas
- Terracotta pavers and tiles
- Most masonry, concrete and brick surfaces
- Sandstone surfaces
- As a top coat for timber floors
What are the benefits of CLEARCOAT?
- CLEARCOAT is environmentally friendly.
As a product that has low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) content and meets the “Green Star” environmental criteria, CLEARCOAT is a responsible choice for your sustainable and environmentally conscious projects.
- CLEARCOAT is safe to use.
CLEARCOAT not only helps you protect the environment but also human health. It is classified as non-hazardous and non-flammable, ensuring the utmost safety of everyone when handled and applied according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- CLEARCOAT is suitable for foot traffic areas.
CLEARCOAT can be applied on tiled surfaces that people typically walk on such as balconies, podiums and showers. It is a top coating that provides an extra layer of protection against moisture and stains.
- CLEARCOAT is cost-effective.
Using CLEARCOST saves you from costly repairs and maintenance in the future. It also enhances the functionality and appearance of your tiled surfaces so that you can preserve or add more value to your project.
At Scientific Waterproofing Products, we also offer you a 10-year product warranty so you can get the most value for your money.
- CLEARCOAT offers ease of application.
Re-waterproofing tiled surfaces often comes with a lengthy process of removing tiles, screed, failed waterproofing and waste material. This is followed by applying a new waterproofing membrane and new screed, then waterproofing this new screed and finally re-tiling the area.
Whereas with CLEARCOAT, you have a simpler solution. Just simply apply the product using a brush or foam roller to seal the area.
Important reminders before applying CLEARCOAT
To achieve excellent results with CLEARCOAT, the key is proper application to your tiled surfaces.
We’ve listed some helpful reminders prior to the application of CLEARCOAT to guide you through the process.
- Always apply CLEARCOAT to a completely dry surface that’s free from any dampness and/or moisture.
- Prepare the surface by keeping it clean, sound and stable. Make sure to eliminate dust, grease, loose, flaking, friable material and other contaminated substances.
- Don’t forget to wash the surface with detergent and/or bleach. Then, after rinsing, allow the surface to dry thoroughly.
- If moss and mould are present, remove them with a solution of 1 part bleach to 2 parts water. Again, you can wash off the surface with clean water.
- Cracked, damaged or loose grout between tiles or bo
arders must be completely removed and re-grouted. Cracked tiles should also be replaced first.
- On the other hand, cracks and imperfections in concrete, render or screeds should be repaired with Maxrest, other suitable repair mortar or Maxjoint Elastic Express.
- Make sure you do a compatibility test before applying CLEARCOAT to prevent wastage.
How to effectively apply CLEARCOAT
There are steps you need to follow to transform your leaking tiled surfaces into watertight and durable spaces once more.
Here’s how you can apply CLEARCOAT the right way.
- Apply Soudal T-Rex Crystal to all floor or wall junctions.
- Dilute CLEARCOAT and mix it with water using an electric drill mixer at a low speed.
- Apply CLEARCOAT either by brush or a foam roller to seal the area.
Just a quick tip: 1 kg diluted ratio mix (2 parts CLEARCOAT to 1 part water) can cover approximately 4.5m².
- CLEARCOAT comes as a 2-3 coat system. But keep in mind – you can’t directly apply one after another! A minimum of 4 hours curing time between coats must be observed.
- To achieve a slip-resistant finish, apply the first coat. Whilst still wet, broadcast fine Silica Sand, then allow it to dry. Don’t forget to blow off excess Silica Sand before applying additional coats.
- Remember also to apply all coats within 48 hours to avoid surface contamination.
- It’s advisable to apply multiple thin coats to your surface.
Also don’t forget that the additional coats must be diluted with water at a ratio of 2 parts to 1 part water and applied using a brush or roller.
Minimum dry film thickness must be 0.5mm (500 microns) over joints, grout lines, mortar joints, concrete and level surfaces. Meanwhile, a 0.2mm (200 microns) is required over tiles.
- It takes 5-7 days to achieve a full cure after the final coat is applied at 25°C and 50% R.H. But once the waterproof membrane is completely cured, you can now have peace of mind with your project’s renewed tiled surfaces!
If you would like further guidance about CLEARCOAT, simply speak to your local Australian waterproofing specialists at Scientific Waterproofing Products.
Get the right specification and waterproofing products for your next project
At Scientific Waterproofing Products, our team is here to provide you with the most effective waterproofing for your unique project.
We offer a wide range of waterproof coatings that are made from high-quality raw materials and backed by a 10-year product warranty.
If you’ve got questions or issues around your next waterproofing job, or you’d like to find out which product is best for building, maintenance or restoration requirements, contact us today!
As always, SWP is committed to providing the right waterproofing solution for any water-related problem or application.