As water is the main element in a pool, most people simply assume that all swimming pools are already waterproofed.
However, most swimming pools aren’t waterproofed! This makes them incredibly susceptible to leaks, surface damage and other water-related problems, especially over time.
So, if you’re planning to build your own swimming pool or maintain your current one, remember that waterproofing the pool’s structure is essential. Waterproofing your swimming pool during the construction stage will help protect the surrounding surfaces, ensure its long-term durability and save you from the costs of unforeseen repairs in the future.
Want to learn more about waterproofing swimming pools? At Scientific Waterproofing Products (SWP), we recommend cement-based solutions that both waterproof and render pools at the same time.
Here’s how it all works.
3 reasons to waterproof your swimming pool
Swimming pools come in various sizes, shapes, designs and purposes.
But regardless of the type, waterproofing is crucial to keep swimming pools in pristine condition, especially as they are regularly exposed to the constant pressure of water and aggressive external agents such as chlorine and salts.
To appreciate the importance of waterproofing, here are three key reasons why you should waterproof your swimming pool:
- Waterproofing prevents unnecessary water ingress
Cement block walls or concrete alone cannot completely safeguard your swimming pool from water ingress. They are prone to cracking which can then pave the way for leaks and other water-related damage.
However, the right waterproofing products can be applied to seal the surrounding concrete and prevent it from absorbing excessive moisture.
- Paint and tiles are not sufficient protective layers.
Waterproofing requires so much more than just surface paint and tiles.
We highly recommend applying proper waterproofing solutions that are created to protect the pool surfaces from material expansions, contractions, chemicals and weather effects.
- Waterproofing enables a swimming pool to resist negative and positive water pressure.
In cases where a waterproofing membrane has been applied to the inside shell of a pool, positive water pressure refers to the pressure applied to the membrane by water inside the pool, while negative water pressure refers to the pressure applied by water outside of the pool. This refers to any groundwater that has penetrated the pool’s shell – something that is particularly prevalent in in-ground swimming pools.
At SWP, we have waterproofing products that withstand both water pressures, as well as atmospheric pollution and corrosive salts.
Choosing the right swimming pool waterproofing solutions
Do you need to waterproof your swimming pool? The answer is: definitely.
But to get the best results, you must use the right waterproofing products for your specific project.
At SWP, we offer a wide range of Drizoro products that can help you waterproof swimming pools effectively.
Some of the pool waterproofing solutions we offer include:
- CONCRESEAL® PLASTERING-M is a mono-component mortar composed of cement, carefully controlled silica aggregates and special additives, designed for waterproofing, levelling, protection and the decoration of concrete and masonry in one single layer with a thickness of between 3.0 and 5.0 mm.
- Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX M is a one-component cement-based mortar. Once mixed only with water, it provides a high-performance flexible coating for waterproofing and the protection of concrete against positive and negative pressure.
- Drizoro MAXREST is a one-component structural repair mortar, made of special cement, additives, and selected aggregates. MAXREST firmly adheres to the surface that it is applied to and restores concrete to its original condition.
- Drizoro MAXREST PASSIVE is a one-component liquid product, which once applied neutralizes the corrosion process, reacting quickly with rust, transforming iron oxide into a stable passive layer giving full protection against corrosion, salts, acid and alkali attack.
If you’d like further guidance on our swimming pool waterproofing products, simply speak to your local Australian waterproofing specialists at SWP today.
A client case study: waterproofing swimming pools
The Scientific Waterproofing Products (SWP) team recently finished waterproofing a swimming pool in Mount Martha in Victoria, Australia.
Instead of the usual surface finishes on swimming pools like mosaic or ceramic tiling, pebbles, jewels and quartz, our team at SWP used Drizoro waterproofing and flexible cement-based render products to complete the project.
Here’s how we did it:
- We waterproofed the interior and exterior of the above-ground pool with MAXSEAL® FLEX M, plus a final coating of CONCRESEAL® PLASTERING-M.
As MAXSEAL® FLEX M is a cement-based flexible waterproofing product that must be applied to a wet substrate, the heavy rain during that period didn’t present an issue.
- Next, we filled all gaps and voids within the shotcrete with MAXREST – a quick setting (20 minutes) non-shrink mortar which must also be applied to a wet substrate.
- The last phase was the application of our Drizoro waterproof flexible render, CONCRESEAL® PLASTERING-M, at the rate of 3-5 mm thickness.
CONCRESEAL® PLASTERING-M is available in 25kg bags with two colour options of cement grey and ivory white. It typically costs $41.00 per m2 at the rate of 4mm thickness (excluding labour and GST).
- After the minimum 5 days needed for the CONCRESEAL® PLASTERING-M to cure, the pool is now complete and ready to be filled with water.
With SWP, you can trust that we have the ideal range of high-quality waterproofing solutions to strengthen the overall structure of your swimming pool and its surrounding surfaces. Our Drizoro products ensure that your swimming pool is safe, functional and durable for you to enjoy.
Get the best waterproofing solutions for your swimming pool today
Our team at SWP is here to provide you with the right waterproofing products for your unique needs. We offer a number of Drizoro cement-based waterproof coatings and other waterproofing solutions for all your building, maintenance and restoration requirements.
If you’ve got any questions or issues around waterproofing, or you’d like to find out which product is best for your needs, contact us today! You can also check out a list of local Drizoro resellers and applicators here.
As always, SWP is committed to providing the right waterproofing solution to any problem or application.