Just because they hold water doesn’t mean that water-retaining structures are exempt from waterproofing.
Waterproofing is necessary not only to ensure the durability and longevity of water-retaining structures, but also to protect the integrity and aesthetics of surrounding building structures.
To prevent cases of leakage as well as unwanted water infiltration, water retaining bodies must be waterproofed – these include:
- irrigation channels
- and water treatment plans to
- swimming pools
- man-made ponds
- and potable water tanks.
As an Architect, Builder or Property Specialist, your first step needs to be ensuring you’re equipped with the right waterproofing solution for your projects.
This is where Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M is often the best choice for a wide range of construction projects.
About Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M
Water can be destructive to water-retaining structures, especially if they are exposed to extreme weather conditions and other external factors. The concrete which they are often made of can also easily deteriorate when water penetrates the surface.
- meet Australian Standards 4654 and 4020
- are fully submersible and must be applied to a wet surface.
- can withstand both positive and negative hydrostatic pressure (good for positive and negative waterproofing)
- and are UV-stable, made from high-quality raw materials and backed with a 10-year product warranty.
One of these is Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M, a one-component cement-based mortar.
Once mixed only with water, it provides a high-performance flexible coating for waterproofing and protection of concrete against positive and negative pressure.
To help you safeguard your projects from water-related damage, Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M can be applied across all of the following scenarios:
- waterproofing and protection of water retaining structures, such as potable water tanks, reservoirs, dams, water channels, fountains and swimming pools
- waterproofing of below-grade structures like basements, retaining walls, foundations and tunnels
- waterproofing galleries subject to high negative water pressure
- waterproofing and protection of concrete waste-water treatment plants, settlement tanks, etc
- waterproofing and protection of concrete structures such as civil works, bridges, architectural buildings and residential facades against carbonation and marine environment
- waterproofing and protection of concrete against soil salts and aggressive groundwater in underground jobs, foundations, etc
- waterproofing roofs, terraces, balconies, etc
- and waterproofing of window boxes, gardens and other surfaces subject to root penetration.
In addition, this waterproofing product is suitable for contact with potable water, making it a highly practical waterproofing solution.
How to apply Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M
Waterproofing helps ensure that water-retaining structures remain robust in the long run. This, in turn, adds more value to your site or project and reduces future problems.
To achieve excellent results from waterproofing, you must first understand how to properly optimise your waterproofing product.
For Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M, here’s a step-by-step guide to enable you to effectively apply it on water retaining structures:
- The surface to be coated must be sound, clean, and free of traces of paint, loose particles, dust, grease, mould, release compounds, gypsum, and efflorescence.
You may remove efflorescence using Efflorescence-Rid, then apply Sealtight to the affected areas to block the salt from penetrating.\
- Any damage or concrete defect like holes, voids, honeycombs, and cracks should also be repaired in advance using MAXREST®.
- Since Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M can only be applied to a wet surface, no primer or other product is required prior to its application. But in areas where salt removal has been carried out, Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M must be applied while the surface is still wet with Sealtight.
- Apply MAXSEAL ® FLEX-M using a fibre-type brush like MAXBRUSH or a broom, spreading a homogeneous and continuous coating with a thickness of 1mm approximately. Do not apply as if it was paint and do not overwork the surface once applied.
- Apply the first coat at a rate of 1 – 1.5 kg/m2. Allow a drying time of a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 24 hours, then apply the second coat in a perpendicular direction between coats for a total consumption of 2 – 3 kg/m2. Once brush applied, and while still wet, the second coat can be rolled over for a textured finish.
- For large areas, MAXSEAL ® FLEX-M can also be sprayed – the recommended nozzle size is 3-4 mm with a spraying pressure between 3.5 and 5.0 bar. When sprayed, it is recommended to comb the fresh coat with a broom to make sure that the whole surface is covered homogeneously.
- Once fissures and cracks are repaired, apply a first coat of MAXSEAL® FLEX-M at 1.0 kg/m2 on them. While the first coat is still wet, embed 200mm wide Maxmesh into the first coat. This applies to concrete joints, too.
Once a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 24 hours have passed, apply a second coat of MAXSEAL® FLEX-M at 1.0 kg/m2/min.
- Curing time for putting into service and water immersion is 5 days at 20ºC and 50% R.H. Take note that applications at lower temperatures or higher R.H. will increase the curing time.
- In the case where tanks are used for potable water, once MAXSEAL® FLEX-M is cured, wash the surface with water at low pressure before filling.
Waterproof your project’s water-retaining structures the right way.
Below, you will find some additional tips that will help you to get the best results from waterproofing:
Waterproofing ensures your water-retaining structures can withstand water-related damage – whether it’s due to hydrostatic water pressure inside or water flow coming from the outside.
With SWP’s Drizoro MAXSEAL® FLEX-M, you can get the best outcome from waterproofing. Even in the most severe conditions and high negative or positive water pressure circumstances, we make waterproofing more efficient and effective for you.
If you want to learn more about our cement-based waterproofing products and why they are the right solutions for your project, consult our local Australian waterproofing specialists
Get the right specification of waterproofing product for your next project.
At Scientific Waterproofing Products, our team is here to provide you with the most effective waterproofing for your unique project.
We offer a wide range of Drizoro cement-based waterproof coatings that are made from high-quality raw materials and backed by a 10-year product warranty.
If you’ve got any questions or issues around your next waterproofing job, or you’d like to find out which product is best for your project, contact us today.
You can also check out a list of local Drizoro resellers and applicators here.
As always, SWP is committed to providing the right waterproofing solution for any water-related problem or application.