In our previous permanent formwork blog, we discussed the importance of waterproofing formwork at its cold joint base.
Now that it’s waterproofed, what comes next is rendering or tiling this permanent formwork to enhance its durability, quality and overall look.
By adding acrylic render, tiles, brick-biscuits or stone cladding to the surface of permanent formwork, you’ll not only improve the appearance of your home or structure but also build a protective surface that’s more resilient to staining, has greater weather resistance and is more impervious to water damage.
The challenge here, however, is that most permanent formworks are non-porous. They are made of either powder-coated metal or PVC, which makes it difficult to adhere to render, tiles and other stonework to them.
Fortunately, you can rely on Scientific Waterproofing Products’ EASY BOND to help you get the job done! Here’s how it works.
EASY BOND: the solution you need to render or tile on permanent formwork
EASY BOND is a one-component cement-based mortar. Mixed only with water, it provides a high-performance flexible key coat bonding bridge for non-porous substrates, as well as for permanent formworks like Dincel, Rediwall®, Rise Products, Zeggo and Permaform
Also known for its excellent adhesive function, EASY BOND serves as a high-quality base that adheres to your permanent formwork and enables you to install acrylic render, brick-biscuits, ceramic tiles, stone cladding and other finishes on it with ease.
When is it best to use EASY BOND?
How do you know if EASY BOND is the solution you’re looking for?
- Is your substrate subject to thermal movement?
- Do you need a base coating that’s environment-friendly and suitable for application even in poorly ventilated areas?
- Do you want an anti-fracture key coat between your substrate and other finishing coats?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any or all these questions, then EASY BOND is the right product for you.
With up to 15 years of life expectancy (depending on application area and usage), you can use EASY BOND without the need for primer, scuffing or sandblasting.
How to apply EASY BOND to permanent formwork
To help you get the best results from EASY BOND, we’ve prepared a set of instructions and reminders that can assist you as you use our product:
- The surface to be coated must be sound, clean and free of all traces of paint, dust, grease, efflorescence, loose particles, gypsum, plaster and mould release compounds.
- Holes, voids, honeycombs and cracks, once opened to a minimum of 2 cm, must be cleaned and patched with MAXREST®. Exposed steel bars must also be cleaned and coated with the oxide converter MAXREST PASSIVE®, and thereafter patched with MAXREST® with a 1 cm minimum thickness.
- Apply EASY BOND by texture or foam roller, spreading a homogeneous and continuous coating of approximately 1mm. Once applied, do not overwork the surface and do not apply as if it was paint. Allow for a minimum drying time of 3 days.
- For large areas, EASY BOND can also be sprayed. When sprayed, comb the fresh coat with a broom to make sure that the whole surface is covered homogeneously.
- On fissures, concrete joints, corners and cracks – once repaired, apply a first coat of EASY BOND at 1,0kg/m2. While it is still fresh, place either a 50mm or 200mm strip of MAXMESH.
- Joints can be filled using Easy Bond as a mortar mix. Apply using a putty knife and allow to cure before the application of a key coat.
- Do not add cement, mixtures, sand or any other compound.
- Keep in mind that we do not recommend the use of EASY BOND over zinc or zinc-coated surfaces. Instead, treat these surfaces using MAXREST PASSIVE® as per TDS prior to coating.
As always, the information provided here must be used in conjunction with the appropriate technical data bulletins and material safety data sheets available from our office or website.
If you’d like further guidance on our products, you may also speak to the local Australian waterproofing specialists here at Scientific Waterproofing Product (SWP).
Choose the right solution to render or tile your permanent formwork effectively
Our team at SWP is here to provide you with the right waterproofing for your unique needs. We offer a number of Drizoro cement-based waterproof coatings and other waterproofing solutions for all your building, maintenance and restoration requirements.
If you’ve got any questions or issues around waterproofing, or you’d like to find out which product is best for your needs, contact us today! You can also check out a list of local Drizoro resellers and applicators here.
As always, SWP is committed to providing the right waterproofing solution to any problem or application.